The EVENTS volunteers create a link between our Healing Winds community respite sailing program and our greater Vermont community members.
Each EVENTS volunteer is an ambassador of our mission which is to provide respite for cancer patients and all those who love them, and acts accordingly.
Hosting events can be complex, with lots of moving parts and plenty of details to coordinate. Having a clear idea of which roles need to be filled will help us create a topnotch committee with the right people in the right positions! All of this coordination and organization sets us up to throw AMAZING events!
Fill out the form below to begin your fulfilling journey with Healing Winds Vermont.
Kathie Weibust was one of our early crew volunteers. She quickly dove in and became a steadfast Healing Winds Board Member for 3 years. During that time, she nominated patients, was a caregiver for a friend with cancer, and she was a recipient of two sails! She has crewed on over 100 sails during 6 seasons !
She showed ALL of us the true meaning of giving fully to a mission that was near and dear to her heart. She gave her TIME, ENERGY and COMMITMENT to help others through HWVT’s mission.
- Oversees the event from start to finish. The logistics person needs to take a high-level view:
- Generates the Budget
- Appoints Committee Chairs
Event Planner – Lead
Handles the details of the event itself. This person needs to be very good at keeping several balls in the air and following up with people:
- Coordinates with the event committee
- Contracts with vendors
- Coordinates with businesses
- Coordinates with other volunteers
- Selects the menu.
Corporate Relations and Sponsorships
- Identifies possible sponsors for the event
- Develops a strategy for acquiring sponsors and delivers promised benefits to sponsors
- Great with working with people and motivating people, solving problems and generally helps people feel that they are a part of the team.
- Recruits and energized volunteers
- Identifies volunteer needs and figures out how to meet them
- Communicates with volunteers
- Organizes and delegates event tasks
Procurement / Silent Auction Management
- Team of people in charge of gathering and organizing all items for the auction. Team needs to be creative in coming up with ideas and persistent in pursuing them.
- Hold a brainstorming party to identify items to target for donation
- Located and gathers items for both the silent and live auctions
- Creates an item donation form for tracking purposes
- Creates an item request letter to be sent out to possible donors
- Packages items together as needed for both the silent and live auctions
- Sends thank you letters to item donors (Coordinate with Admin/Office Committee)
Guest Experience / VIP’s
- This team’s job is to make sure that all of your guests have a positive experience. We need people who have excellent people skills, and can manage details well. This job can also include DÉCOR.
- Signs up attendees
- Coordinates registration
- Coordinates admission, check in and check out.
- Organizes seating arrangements if there are any
- Coordinate pro bono photographer
- Need people who are artistic and organized and love to get the details right!
- Determine which decorations are needed based on our theme
- Coordinates table settings, place cards, centerpieces, etc.
- Help with the design of event invitations
- Follows up with event invitations.
4-8 hours per month, includes meeting and outreach events. (Time varies depending on events schedule)