Nature entertains, inspires, teaches and heals. It relieves stress, lowers cortisol levels and can allow you to enter awe-inspired flow states more readily.
At its very core, Healing Winds Vermont is about offering beautiful escapes in nature through our free three-hour sails on picturesque Lake Champlain. We sincerely hope to offer our sailing excursions this year and encourage you to nominate loved ones that could benefit from this healing experience. To ensure the safety for all, this will likely be later in the season. You can trust that we will keep our eyes on the horizon and be a dependable resource for you, no matter which way the winds may blow.
As a past nominee, I am grateful to have enjoyed the magic of Healing Winds Vermont first-hand and am honored to take on the role of Executive Director during this unprecedented time. I look forward to building upon the inspiring work of Healing Winds Vermont, and serving Vermonters in the highest and best way. I invite you to learn more about my story HERE.
Photo credit: Kathleen Carey, Healing Winds Vermont Volunteer and mask-maker extraordinaire.
During this unique time of collective uncertainty and sadness due to COVID-19, we are looking for creative and alternative ways to be a resource for you and your families. Please like our Healing Winds Vermont Facebook page, and share some of the things you are doing right now for self-care and giving back during this period of difficulty. We want to hear about approaches that are helping you, so that we can share with other past and present nominees, their families and the community.
Having Cancer is Hard Enough
Moving through cancer during the new world of COVID-19 layers on its own additional challenges and stressors. Acknowledging the fear that these drastic changes cause can help. Make a practice of regularly expressing your emotions, be excessively gentle with yourself, and as my wise cancer counselor Kathy McBeth likes to say, “Keep your head over your feet.”
Share What Interests You
As for new and virtual offerings, we want to hear what, if any, you might find of interest:
- Calming the Mind
- Stress Relief
- Enhanced Energy
- Getting Better Sleep
- More Online Resources for Nominees and their Families
- Being More Connected with the Healing Winds Vermont Community
- Recorded Guided Meditations
- Participating in Fun Escapes (from the safety of your home)
We’ll soon be sending out a survey via email. If you haven’t yet subscribed to our e-newsletter or email updates, please do so here. You can depend on us to contact you with helpful and interesting news and updates, plus requests for feedback on how we can continue to serve you better.
Some Ways I’ve Been Reducing Stress
While staying home and doing my part in trying to flatten the curve, I’ve been learning all kinds of new tech platforms and setting (and resetting) boundaries in multiple areas of my life. I’m trying to eat more of the foods that nourish me, go on a news diet, and go to bed a little earlier (all easier said than done). Listed below are some things that have been effective in taking the edge off for me:
- Walking outside on nearby nature trails and around my neighborhood
- Hugging my two cats (much to their chagrin!) and husband (he’s happier than they are about this)
- Writing letters (some to send, some to heal); journaling
- Listening to music – Classical during the day (Baroque Adagio is particularly good for concentration with lots of great choices on YouTube) and fun, mood lifting 80’s music in the evening!
- Practicing gratitude – Specifically, a “Three Best Things” daily recap with my husband each evening
- Connecting with loved ones through video-chats, phone calls and emails
- Quieting “busy mind” with short meditations and gentle movement practices like yoga and qigong
A Rising Tide Lifts All Boats
Finally, we want to thank you for maintaining your past connection with us – whether you have been a nominee, family member, donor, volunteer or community partner. For those of you who are just now learning about Healing Winds Vermont, we invite you to join us during this landmark year of change. We’re all in this together.
All of us at Healing Winds Vermont remain a resource of respite for you and your families.